Pages discussing written and spoken words significant to Jews and Judaism, including languages, names, expressions, prayers and scriptures
Go to Site Map
- Hebrew Alphabet
- See illustrations of the letters and vowel points of the Hebrew alphabet in print, script and Rashi script. Learn the names and numerical values of the letters. Also discusses transliteration (writing Hebrew in English letters).
- Hebrew Language: Root Words
- An introduction to the concept of root words in the Hebrew language and the structure of Hebrew words.
- Yiddish Language and Culture
- Yiddish was the international language of Jews from Central and Eastern Europe until the middle of the 20th century. Learn about the history of the Yiddish language, as well as its alphabet, literature, theater and music.
- Expressions and Greetings
- What is the appropriate greeting on a Jewish holiday? What is the Jewish way to congratulate someone? This page provides a list of common Jewish expressions and greetings, along with their explanations.
- Jewish Names
- Learn about Jewish names and naming customs, including surnames, given (first) names and Hebrew names. Some material here may be of interest to Jewish genealogists.
- The Name of G-d
- Learn about several of the more important names of G-d in Jewish tradition, and learn the rules regarding writing and pronouncing these names. Learn why we write 'G-d' that way.
- Learn about the concept of Torah, the books of Jewish scriptures and other sacred Jewish writings.
- Torah Readings
- Learn about the Jewish practice of weekly Torah and Haftarah readings. Provides a list of readings.
- Trop (Cantillation): Chanting Hebrew Scripture
- Learn about the concept of trop (trope, cantillation), the musical melody used when Torah and haftarah are read aloud in synagogue.
- Prayers and Blessings
- Learn about the importance of prayer in Judaism and the form and content of prayers and blessings.
- Jewish Liturgy
- Learn about the history and structure of the traditional Jewish prayer service.