Pages discussing Jewish law and the actions it demands of us
Go to Site Map
- Halakhah: Jewish Law
- Learn what Jewish law is and what it is derived from. Distinguishes between laws from the Torah and different classes of laws made by the rabbis.
- Aseret ha-Dibrot: The Ten Commandments
- Learn about the Jewish understanding of the Ten Commandments, known in Judaism as Aseret ha-Dibrot. Provides a Jewish perspective on the controversy surrounding public use of this text.
- Love and Brotherhood
- Learn about the Jewish perspective on the importance of love, brotherhood, and the proper treatment of your fellow man.
- Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra
- Learn about the sins of wronging people through speech.
- Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws
- Learn about the Jewish dietary laws of kashrut (kosher), why we observe these laws, the various foods and combinations that are forbidden, and the certification of kosher foods.
- Kosher Sex
- Learn about Jewish law regarding sexual relations, contraception, abortion, adultery, and the separation of a menstruating woman.
- Tzedakah: Charity
- Tzedakah (charity) is a fundamental part of the Jewish way of life. Learn about the meaning of tzedakah and the obligation to give tzedakah.
- Treatment of Animals
- Learn about Jewish law regarding the proper treatment of animals and against cruelty to animals, which is called in Hebrew tza'ar ba'alei chayim (suffering of living creatures).
- Qorbanot: Sacrifices and Offerings
- Learn about the ancient Jewish practices of sacrifices and offerings. Discusses the nature and purpose of these practice, and explains why these rituals are no longer observed.
- A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
- A list of the 613 mitzvot (commandments) that are binding on Jews.