Pages containing reference material, including a bibliography, the text of common prayers and blessings and the glossary
Go to Site Map
Recommended Books and Publishers
- A list of books for further study and links to Jewish book publishers online.
Common Prayers and Blessings
- A list of common prayers and blessings that are available on this site for viewing online. Hebrew, transliteration, and English translation are available.
Glossary of Jewish Terminology
- Definitions and explanations of Jewish terminology, including Yiddish and Hebrew words, with links to pages that discuss the subject in more depth.
Chanukkah Candle Lighting Blessings
- The procedure for lighting Chanukkah candles, the prayers in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew, and the traditional melody.
Havdalah Home Ritual
- The blessings recited in the typical conclusion of Shabbat ritual, in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew.
- The full text of the Mourner's Kaddish prayer, in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew.
Affixing a Mezuzah
- The procedure for affixing a mezuzah, and the blessing to be recited, in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew.
Rosh Hashanah Evening Home Ritual
- Some prayers for rituals performed in the home on Rosh Hashanah, including candle lighting, Kiddush, Shehecheyanu and the blessing for dipping apples in honey.
Shabbat Evening Home Ritual
- Some of the blessings recited in the home at the beginning of the Shabbat, including candle lighting, kiddush, washing hands and motzi. In Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew.
- The full text of the Shema prayer, in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew, along with a MIDI file of the tune.
- Some blessings for the Sukkot holiday, including Kiddush, blessings for dwelling in and leaving the sukkah, and for waving the four species, in Hebrew, English and transiterated Hebrew
- The blessing of the sun recited once every 28 years. The same blessing is also recited upon seeing or experiencing other significant natural phenomena.
Donning Tallit and Tefillin
- The procedure and prayers for putting on a tallit (prayer shawl) and tefillin before morning services, in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew.
Prayers for Healing
- The Refuah Shleima and Mi Shebeirach prayers for healing the sick and injured, in Hebrew, English and transliterated Hebrew.